Big Data Use Cases – Healthcare
From predicting outbreaks of contagious disease to fraud analysis and identification, Big Data can be used to improve functionality and find repeatable patterns within Healthcare systems. A high-availability Hadoop cluster can even be used to predict future illness and costs through pattern matching of patient visits, diagnoses, and patient-provider interactions. In order to make the most of big data, companies in the healthcare industry need a health data management and security platform.
Predict outbreaks using reliable EHR information on the geographical distribution and incidence of disease as quickly as possible
- Provide data faster than surveillance systems that rely on patients/doctors voluntarily submitting reports.
Use pattern matching for predictive health: Correlate patient visits, diagnostics, and hospital/provider interactions across years of multiple visits
- Find repeatable patterns in patient data & long term illness diagnosis (hypertension, diabetes, cancer, etc.)
- Predict re-treatment risk & proactively address, to avoid re-admission within Medicare’s 30-day window
Identify best care approach via clinical analysis
- Longitudinal analysis of care across patients and diagnoses
- Cluster analysis around influencers on treatment, physicians, therapist; patient social relationships
Perform fraud analysis and identification via pattern analysis
- Understand relationships among parties (physicians, consumers, organizations), locations, time of filing, frequency and circumstances
- Detect potential for computer generated claims; graph analysis of cohort networks